Dysport is an injectable treatment that relaxes the muscles to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Like other neuromodulators such as Botox and Xeomin, this popular neurotoxin contains a safe, modified form of Clostridium botulinum, a strain of bacteria. When injected, it temporarily blocks nerve signals to muscles. As a result, targeted muscles remain relaxed and skin stays smooth. In as little as 10 days, patients can look forward to refreshed, youthful-looking facial skin. If you’re looking for a non-surgical solution to address facial creasing, then a Dysport treatment may benefit you. Dr. Michelle Cabret and the knowledgeable staff of Austin Cosmetic Surgery are here to provide clients with healthy, long-lasting results. Reach out to our office today to schedule a consultation. Or, you can give our office a call at (512) 688-8000.
During the 1960s and 70s, ophthalmologist Alan Scott discovered that the use of botulinum toxin (BoNT) corrected strabismus, a disorder in which both eyes do not line up in the same direction. BoNT is a neurotoxin, but can be applied in small, safe doses, as a neuromodulator, to control muscle movement. Soon after, healthcare professionals used this helpful substance to address several other medical conditions that otherwise were difficult to treat. Neuromodulators were approved for cosmetic use in the early 2000s and since then, they have helped millions of people worldwide improve their facial appearance. 
What Are Neuromodulators?
Neuromodulators are substances that temporarily block the communication between muscle tissue and nerve cells. When injected into strategic areas of the facial muscles, they work to prevent muscle contractions and muscle tension by preventing the nerve cells from signaling to the muscles.  This keeps muscles from tensing or contracting during times of stress or while expressing emotion. This causes the overlying skin to remain smooth. By relaxing facial muscles, Dysport ensures that the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles are reduced.
Dysport injections can take years off of a patient’s face. Dysport is like Botox in that they are both neuromodulators and can be used to treat dynamic wrinkles. However, Dysport is a more diluted formula, so it can spread to a larger area. Both men and women have benefited from this minimally invasive treatment that efficiently reduces glabellar lines, smile lines, crow’s feet, and brow lines. Patients can also count on these significant benefits to treat fine lines and wrinkles
Dysport produces profound improvements to your facial contours. One treatment can easily provide you with a refreshed face with smooth, youthful skin.
This treatment is a streamlined process that does not require incisions, surgery, or lengthy downtime. It is an excellent alternative for patients unwilling to go through the exhausting process of invasive measures. After a Dysport injection, you can enjoy your results for up to five months.
Healthy candidates over the age of 18 looking to do away with frown lines or wrinkles around the eyes, cheeks, forehead, and mouth are eligible. Despite this, the treatment may not be suitable for everyone. Other factors to consider when seeking a Dysport treatment are:
- Have mild to moderate forms of skin laxity around the face
- A desire to correct signs of aging around the face without surgical methods
- Not smoking or willing to give up the habit a few weeks before treatment
- Not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have realistic goals in mind
Personal Consultation with Dr. Cabret
Dr. Michelle Cabret believes in helping patients live healthy and fulfilling lives. From aesthetic to physical wellness treatments, we are committed to developing a comprehensive, personalized treatment plan that uncovers your natural beauty.
Dr. Cabret also believes that the doctor/patient relationship is crucial. That is why your consultation with her will be informal yet informative. Dr. Cabret and her team will conduct a brief patient intake interview that will discuss your medical history and intended results. Then, we’ll examine your facial skin elasticity in the areas of concern. After we’ve developed a plan, we’ll discuss how a Dysport treatment can smooth and refresh your trouble spots. Finally, before you leave the office, we’ll give you a short list of instructions to prepare for your Dysport session. Please follow these carefully to ensure you get the most out of your injections!
Preparing for your Dysport experience is easy. Patients will glide right through the process once they complete their pre-procedure instructions. They include:
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before and after treatment
- Do not wax, shave, tweeze, or use hair removal products in treated areas
- Let us know of any skin conditions or previous breakouts
- Discontinue use of blood-thinners, Aspirin, Aleve, NSAIDs, OTC medications, and supplements
- Eat and drink normally on the day of treatment
- Arrive your appointment with a clean face
Upon your arrival we will take photos of the targeted treatment area to determine the most efficient injection strategy for result optimization. Then, to ensure your comfort, we may apply a topical numbing cream.
One of our experienced injectors will gently administer a small amount of Dysport into the muscles just beneath the skin.  You may feel a slight pinching sensation during treatment but this will subside once we’re done. Once injected, Dysport works to temporarily disable the nerves around the injection site. This reduces muscle movement, relaxes the area, and evens out the skin. The entire procedure should take up to 30 minutes to complete.
The recovery process is a breeze. The treatment has minimum downtime, and allows patients to resume their day. However, there are a few things to note about the Dysport aftercare process. During the next few weeks:
- Expect minor tenderness, soreness, swelling, or redness of the treated area
- Avoid strenuous activity for at least 24 hours
- You can apply an ice pack to reduce swelling
- Avoid touching or scratching the treated areas
- Protect yourself from the sun by limiting exposure and applying sunscreen
- Avoid hot showers, hot temperatures, and saunas/jacuzzis
Most patients can expect to see full, transformative results within 3-10 days. In the months that follow, Dysport will continue to smooth away fine lines, glabellar lines, frown lines, and crow’s feet. You can enjoy your result for up to 5 months. Continued results can be lengthened with additional treatments every 3-4 months.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Austin Cosmetic Surgery provides patients with a wide range of minimally invasive treatments. Dr. Cabret will discuss all options at your consultation. Along with Dysport, you may be recommended the following treatments to restore a youthful, poised look:
- Restylane by Galderma: This popular dermal filler can restore volume and address static wrinkles (those not caused by muscle movement). This easy treatment is able to lift cheeks, smooth lines, or plump the lips.
- Morpheus8: This versatile treatment addresses a wide range of skin concerns, including loose skin, large pores, lines and wrinkles and pigmentation irregularities. Morpheus8 combines the benefits of microneedling with radiofrequency energy for total skin health and rejuvenation.
How Much Does Dysport Cost in Austin?
The final cost of your Dysport experience will depend on the desired results, and the amount of units of Dysport administered per area may vary. Dysport is charged per unit, with most adults averaging 100-180 units per treatment. Booking a consultation with the team at Austin Cosmetic Surgery will help you better understand the costs involved in your treatment. You can also give us a call at (512) 688-8000 to speak with a friendly representative.
Most patients can see noticeable improvements in lines and wrinkles within 3-10 days.
Results from Dysport generally last from 3 to 5 months. After that, patients can choose to repeat the treatment, with a minimum of 3 months between each treatment.
- Beer, K. R., Shamban, A. T., Avelar, R. L., Gross, J. E., & Jonker, A. (2019). Efficacy and Safety of PrabotulinumtoxinA for the Treatment of Glabellar Lines in Adult Subjects: Results From 2 Identical Phase III Studies. Dermatologic Surgery, 45(11), 1381–1393. https://doi.org/10.1097/dss.0000000000001903
- Matarasso, A., & Shafer, D. (2009). Botulinum Neurotoxin Type A-ABO (Dysport): Clinical Indications and Practice Guide. Aesthetic Surgery Journal, 29(6), S72–S79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asj.2009.09.016
- Monheit, G. D., & Pickett, A. (2017). AbobotulinumtoxinA: A 25-Year History. Aesthetic Surgery Journal, 37(Suppl 1), S4–S11. https://doi.org/10.1093/asj/sjw284
- Scaglione, F. (2016). Conversion Ratio between Botox®, Dysport®, and Xeomin® in Clinical Practice. Toxins, 8(3), 65. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins8030065