in Austin TX
Even though women love each addition to the family, there is no denying that pregnancy and breastfeeding can have a profound effect on their bodies. A growing baby needs space and leads to a stretching of the abdominal muscles and skin. The natural elasticity of the skin is overpowered by the expanding belly and collagen breakage results in stretch marks.
While many mothers are able to lose the baby weight, it often results in excess skin and sagging skin. A mommy makeover with Drs. Albert and Michelle Carlotti in Austin, TX, or Scottsdale, AZ can transform your post-baby appearance. With their unique male and female perspectives, you can discuss how to achieve the body you most desire.
What Is A Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is a series of body contouring procedures that are performed to reverse the changes that affect a woman’s sense of confidence in her body after pregnancy and breastfeeding. The procedures that are chosen target the areas that pregnancy affects the most, the breasts, abdomen, and buttocks. The common procedures involved in a mommy makeover include:
- Breast lift
- Breast augmentation
What Procedures Are Included In A Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is a customized combination of procedures performed to achieve a patient’s desired shape. The combination of body sculpting procedures that are performed can be further discussed by calling 512-688-8000. Although, the mommy makeover process should include:
The liposuction procedure is performed to remove stubborn pockets of fat on the flank, hip, abdomen, or other areas of the body. Unwanted, excess subcutaneous fat is broken up and then gently suctioned through a small cannula that is attached to a vacuum compressor. The technique doesn’t just remove fat; it sculpts the body based on natural curves and contouring.
- Liposuction is an excellent choice for women who have unwanted pockets of fat that just do not go away despite them being close to their ideal body weight and want to maximize their makeover. Plastic surgeons Dr. Albert Carlotti & Michelle Carlotti perform liposuction in our offices at Lakeway, TX & Scottsdale, AZ.
This surgery, also known as a tummy tuck, is usually an integral part of the Mommy Makeover because it addresses one of the primary effects of pregnancy: muscle and skin stretch and distortion. A tummy tuck involves an incision along the supra-pubic line, between the hips with multiple variations that will be discussed with you and the most advantageous Type recommended to address your specific issues. The access allows the surgeons to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall that may have separated or stretched beyond their capacity to recover during pregnancy.
- A tummy tuck can be designed to remove an existing c-section skin scar if there is one. Also, this procedure can eliminate stretch marks or soft tissue irregularities from previous fat reduction procedures attempted prior to the lower abdomen. Plastic surgeons Dr. Albert Carlotti & Michelle Carlotti perform tummy tuck procedures in our offices at Lakeway, TX & Scottsdale, AZ.
Mommy makeovers address the various changes to breast tissue through augmentation and lifting. Most women breastfeed after having children which alters the fullness and lift of the breasts. This is why breast procedures are very common in mommy makeover transformations.
- Breast augmentation with carefully selected saline or silicone implants can reinstate the desired amount of fullness and shape to the breasts.
- Breast lift surgery, or mastopexy, may be performed independently or along with breast augmentation to further enhance the body by correcting ptosis (drooping) or asymmetry that may have resulted from breastfeeding, weight swings, or natural aging.
Plastic surgeons Dr. Albert Carlotti & Michelle Carlotti perform breast augmentation, breast lifts, and more in our offices at Lakeway, TX & Scottsdale, AZ.
Mommy Makeover Before And After
Why Is It Best To Have These Procedures At One Time Instead of Individually?
The combining of procedures into one surgery day is advantageous because that is only one time under anesthesia, versus multiple surgeries. One surgery day also means one short sabbatical from work and family obligations, which is easier for most women to manage than several recovery periods. Additionally, our surgeons are so proficient at simultaneous mastopexy with augmentation that they find it easier for them and clearly more rewarding for the woman and significant other.
Am I A Good Candidate For A Mommy Makeover?
Women who are in good overall health and have realistic expectations of what is possible with a mommy makeover are typically excellent candidates for treatment. Some of the common characteristics shared by mommy makeover patients include::
- Stable weight
- Deflated or sagging breasts
- Persistent fatty tissue or extreme laxity in the abdominal area
- Excess fat and skin around the hips and thighs
How Long Is A Mommy Makeover Procedure?
Every Mommy Makeover surgery is carefully planned to address a patient’s concerns. Each treatment plan is unique, which affects the timing of the procedure. A Mommy Makeover can take approximately 4 hours but may take more or less time depending on the procedures being done. Our patients are informed of the estimated surgery time during their consultation. Surgery details are also briefly reviewed at the surgery center before the procedure begins.
How Can I Prepare for Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Once you have decided to have a Mommy Makeover and have selected your surgeon, it is time to prepare for the procedure and recovery. Patients are advised to:
- Stop smoking, if applicable.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Stop taking certain medications. A general list is provided in preoperative instructions.
- Arrange time off work.
- Arrange childcare and pet care, if applicable.
- Fill prescriptions.
- Prepare a quiet, comfortable space at home.
- Consider making meals that can be easily heated or gathering take-out menus.
- Compile an array of entertainment, such as music, podcasts, books, coloring books, and movies.
What Should I Expect During Recovery After Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Recovery from a Mommy Makeover is initially all about rest. Patients can expect:
- 24-72 hours of pain medication. After 72 hours, many patients can switch to an appropriate over-the-counter pain reliever. If you’re unsure what you can take for pain, contact our office.
- Bruising. This may last up to 3 weeks.
- Swelling. This gradually decreases over several weeks.
- Numbness, tingling, or tenderness in areas where liposuction is performed.
- If a breast procedure is performed, tenderness decreases over 2 to 3 weeks.
- Stitches may be removed approximately one week after surgery.
- Certain activity limitations. For example, patients cannot swim for 3 weeks after surgery. Smoking and alcohol consumption must also be avoided for at least 2 weeks.
- Exercise may need to be avoided for 6 weeks.
- Compression garments. This may include a surgical bra or other compression and may continue for 3 to 6 weeks.
- Scarring. After about 6 weeks, patients may begin using a scar cream or other scar treatment to help skin heal quickly.
What Is The Recovery Period For A Mommy Makeover?
Because a Mommy Makeover combines procedures, the recovery period is slightly more extended than an individual procedure. The typical full recovery time for a full makeover that includes breast augmentation and/or lifts, abdominoplasty, and liposuction is about six-twelve weeks with incisions being ‘mature’ at 12-18 months.
Our plastic surgeons encourage early activity as most of our patients are walking 1-2 miles by day 10, comfort is significantly improving over the first 7-10 days with most of our Moms off all pain meds within 5 and muscle relaxers within 10-14 days. Our docs will closely monitor your activity and give you the individual direction you need.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Surgical procedures have inherent risks that include:
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Unfavorable scarring
- Capsular Contracture of Breast Implants
- Blood clots
- Hematoma or other fluid accumulation
- Lingering numbness or tingling
- Changes in skin pigmentation
- Need for revision surgery
When Can I Return to Work After A Mommy Makeover?
Patients should expect to do very little moving around the first week after a Mommy Makeover. Some walking or movement is necessary to maintain optimal circulation and prevent blood clots. However, this is minimal. Depending on the nature of a woman’s job, it may be possible to return to work sometime during the second week of recovery. We do not advise rushing back to work. While physical comfort may be significantly improved, the body may still need more rest than normal to continue tissue recovery.
When Can I Resume Exercise After A Mommy Makeover?
Your timeline to return to your normal exercise routine depends on what that routine is and what procedures you’ve had performed. Since a Mommy Makeover may include a variety of different procedures, including liposuction of the stomach, buttocks, hips, or other areas, a tummy tuck, and breast procedures, every patient will receive specific instructions for the post-recovery exercise. Generally, patients must avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activities that elevate the heart rate for at least 4 weeks. Patients may walk or, over time, ride a bicycle so long as they keep the intensity low.
Will I Have Any Scarring After A Mommy Makeover?
Yes. Patients can expect scars in the operative areas. An abdominoplasty scar typically sits below the panty-line and runs from hip to hip. Breast surgery scars are dependent on the procedure. Some breast scars are limited to the areola area, whereas others may run from the areola down to the breast crease. Our patients are told of their incision patterns during their consultation so they know what to expect.
Is A Mommy Makeover Safe?
The procedures involved in a Mommy Makeover are generally considered safe, even when performed together. Multiple surgeries do increase the amount of time a patient is under anesthesia. However, breast and body procedures are less physiologically impactful on the body than procedures such as liver or heart surgery. No manipulation of internal organs occurs, so a Mommy Makeover is much less complicated than many other medical procedures.
A board-certified plastic surgeon will conduct a thorough consultation, medical history, and examination to confirm each patient is in good health before planning a Mommy Makeover. It is necessary to be completely honest with your surgeon about your health and also your lifestyle habits, as this also influences the degree of risk posed by surgery.
If I Still Plan To Have Children, Should I Consider A Mommy Makeover Now?
If you are planning to have more children, your surgeon will encourage you to postpone at least the tummy tuck portion of the process; not due to safety concerns (abdominoplasty does not inhibit a healthy pregnancy) but due to the way the midsection will change again during gestation.
How Long After Having My Last Baby Should I Wait To Have A Mommy Makeover?
One of the recommendations that doctors make is to give the body time to “bounce back” as much as it will naturally. It is also advantageous to schedule a Mommy Makeover after returning to within 10% of your ideal body weight. Our docs request that you be completely done breastfeeding and having not lactated for upwards of a month.
Schedule A Consultation
For any woman that has had a baby and wants to restore their pre-baby body, a mommy makeover can enhance your appearance. Call our office at 512-688-8000 to schedule a consultation. Our practice serves Lakeway, TX & the greater Austin area. We also have an office located in Scottsdale, Arizona.